Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Peas and Potatoes

Tomorrow is my first pick-up day at our new CSA, or Community Supported Agriculture farm, Shared Earth Farm. We opted for a "Sample Share" this season, based on the premise that we have planted our own garden and perhaps the sample will supplement what we have grown ourselves. We also subscribed to a dairy and are due to pick up milk, cheese and yogurt (I think). I have a very bad habit of signing up for things and immediately forgetting about it. At some point it comes creeping back into my consciousness and then I am on the hunt for "what was it?" That goes for plays, doctor appointments, the dentist, etc. I do try to use my electronic reminders, so I have this pick-up time and day entered into my phone on my calendar with the alarm set to remind me an hour ahead of time. Believe, I'll probably be shocked the first time it goes off and I realize I should be in the car, on the road, finding my way, listening to Pester (our GPS) - all for a handful of peas and potatoes. That is on the list for this week. Probably new potatoes and cool weather crop of Sugar Snap Peas. Who could ask for more?

My biggest problem is that I won't be here for the next three or four Thursdays to pick up anything. I'm trying to arrange for my neighbor to pick up whatever is available and to use it for her family. I hate to miss out on the goodies. She might also be surprised to find out that to get the share she may have to muck out a stall or something to earn the goods. We are supposed to contribute labor to offset the cost of production. I'll see what the deal is tomorrow.

Then I'm trying to figure out how to get the garden we have planted watered. We are having pretty regular rain right now, and the weather is rather cool. However, we had a friend water for us last year and ended up with a $441 water bill because he left the hose running and used 41,000 gallons of water. There is a certain balance to be achieved when one is retired. I'm learning.

No comments: